[Libre-soc-dev] maybe get ryzen 7950x for faster compilation and avx512

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Mon Sep 26 18:30:03 BST 2022

----- Original Message -----

Right, I was talking about the cloud pricing.  A quick glance at Alibaba shows ~$60/mo. for four cores of 3.8Ghz x86, and I think you'd have to justify the cost savings of having the AMD system under your desk vs. just using an inexpensive lease from Alibaba.  Even if you used the cloud service 24/7 for a year, that would leave over $1000 left over could be put diretly toward new development for LibreSoC, and when you get to the 1 year or longer level they offer even further pricing discounts.

If this was a question of true ownership vs. leasing I'd go toward ownership, but with AMD you're still only leasing parts of the CPU so that doesn't even enter into the equation sadly.