[Libre-soc-dev] maybe get ryzen 7950x for faster compilation and avx512

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 18:24:51 BST 2022

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, 10:00 Timothy Pearson <tpearson at raptorengineering.com>
wrote:

> > because cloud providers generally use server hardware which has much
> lower
> > clock rates than the 7950x (up to 5.7GHz vs. around 2-3GHz) which causes
> > very substantial single-threaded performance gap of 2x. also, cloud
> > providers are often pretty expensive for nearly daily use of a powerful
> > server.
>
> I think I'd want to see the numbers on that...

here's performance numbers between the 7950x, a modern dual-socket intel
server, and a POWER9:
https://openbenchmarking.org/vs/Processor/2%20x%20Intel%20Xeon%20Platinum%208380,AMD%20Ryzen%209%207950X%2016-Core,POWER9%2044-Core

as you can see, some tests (presumably more single-threaded) give the 7950x
a approximately 2x advantage over both the POWER9 and intel server.

I don't have cloud price numbers right now...