[Libre-soc-dev] maybe get ryzen 7950x for faster compilation and avx512

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 19:10:52 BST 2022

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, 10:30 Timothy Pearson <tpearson at raptorengineering.com>
wrote:

> > I don't have cloud price numbers right now...
> >
> > Jacob
>
> Right, I was talking about the cloud pricing.  A quick glance at Alibaba
> shows ~$60/mo. for four cores of 3.8Ghz x86,

if 4 cores is all we're getting, imho that would be a foolish decision -- i
already have a 12-core ryzen 3900x that goes up to iirc 4.5GHz.

and I think you'd have to justify the cost savings of having the AMD system
> under your desk vs. just using an inexpensive lease from Alibaba.  Even if
> you used the cloud service 24/7 for a year, that would leave over $1000
> left over could be put diretly toward new development for LibreSoC, and
> when you get to the 1 year or longer level they offer even further pricing
> discounts.
>
> If this was a question of true ownership vs. leasing I'd go toward
> ownership, but with AMD you're still only leasing parts of the CPU so that
> doesn't even enter into the equation sadly.

dismissing it as "leasing" is a bit disingenuous imho, AMD isn't
realistically taking it back after a few years, I'll still have the
hardware and still be able to use it. even if it's proprietary, it's still
something I get to keep using as long as I please without having to pay AMD
more later, and I can sell it when I don't want it anymore.