[Libre-soc-dev] force pushing to nmutil.git and libreriscv.git -- everyone's write permissions temporarily removed

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Mar 27 10:38:11 BST 2022

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 9:13 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am currently waiting on Luke to finish one part I can't do due to
> lacking write permissions, after that, nmutil.git and libreriscv.git

that's now done: i've left your permissions enabled so that you can sort it
out.

i am both pissed off and also strangely pleased that this happened.

the reasos  i am pissed off is

1)  because it is 4 days before the deadline where i am supposed to have
     met the FPGA Milestone for NGI POINTER.
2) you didn't consult anybody - at all - before going ahead with a massive
    strategic decision with far-reaching implications

the reasons i am strangely pleased are:

1) there is a specific clause in the Charter which covers this:
    "Guilt and Merit belong to those who earn it".  translation:
    "you make a mess, it's your responsibility to sort out"
    and it's good that we have this in place
2) this will teach you in turn to take proper responsibility and
    care.

the first priority will be to sort out the mess, checking with everyone
that they've got their repos updated.

the second priority will be to do an analysis of what went wrong
(what you didn't do) and for you to update the procedures in
HDL_workflow so that you know what should have been done,
and what should be done in the future.