[Libre-soc-dev] force pushing to nmutil.git and libreriscv.git -- everyone's write permissions temporarily removed

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 09:13:39 BST 2022

I added a git subtree directory that is synced between
libreriscv.git/openpower/sv/bitmanip and
nmutil.git/src/nmutil/openpower_sv_bitmanip_in_wiki.
Unfortunately I didn't think to check with everyone if that was a good
idea, so we're force pushing to nmutil.git and libreriscv.git to
remove the git subtree commits.

Sorry for the trouble.

We are removing everyone's write permissions on those two repos as a
temporary measure:
How to get your write permissions back:
First: wait until we have pushed the corrected commits, I (or luke)
will be sending a followup email once this has occurred.
Then, one of:
1. Verify that you have not git pull-ed either repo on or after March
2. If you've not made any changes recently to either repo, fetch the
fixed commits and reset your git master:
    In each repo (assuming libre-soc is the `origin` remote, which is
would be by default):
        git fetch origin
        git reset origin/master

3. If you don't want write permission for those repos, you can
disregard this, though if you have local repos you'll probably still
want to follow the instructions to avoid having your repo have a messy
history.
4. Something more complicated, probably involving git rebase..we'll
help figure that out.

I am currently waiting on Luke to finish one part I can't do due to
lacking write permissions, after that, nmutil.git and libreriscv.git
will have everyone's write permissions removed, and the correct
commits pushed to master, then I'll send an email letting everyone
know, then we'll add everyone's write permissions back as we verify
that your repos will be ok.