[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction: Hello Everyone

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat May 18 23:23:39 BST 2024

On Saturday, May 18, 2024, Thomas Stephens <tmsteph1290 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok!
>
> just to be clear,
>
> For now, especially while we are strongly recommending Debian 10, It
> seems that people should develop on a seperate machine, partition, or
> perhaps VM that does not regularly connect to the Internet.

chroots are implicitly totally separate. as an experenced
sysadmin and developer since 1994 these are things i just
don't spell out as they are "obvious"... to me, if you know
that one? :)

> This wasn't clear to me originally, and It will be increasingly
> difficult to find Debian 10 support,

don't need it, don't want it. security updates are off the list
as well because they interfere with stability, which is the
*only* priority.

>  so I would be interested in
> updating our documentation to help newcomers.

sure, delighted for you to do that - remember to read the
Charter, let us know if you're happy with it also bear in
mind the License (LGPLv3 and GFDL)

> Thanks!
>
> TMS
>

> On Sat, May 18, 2024, 2:41 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>>

>> On Saturday, May 18, 2024, Thomas Stephens <tmsteph1290 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hey all,
>> >
>> > I noticed, while following directions, that the Debian 10 installation
medium was hard to come by.

>> > Upon further investigation, Debian 10 Buster is ending Long-term
Service and Support on the 30th of this June, 2024, next month.
>> > https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/
>> >
>> > Debian 12, the current debian distribution, maintains Long-Term
Support until June 2028.