[Libre-soc-dev] maybe get ryzen 7950x for faster compilation and avx512

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 00:46:31 BST 2022

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 4:41 PM Jacob Bachmeyer via Libre-soc-dev
<libre-soc-dev at lists.libre-soc.org> wrote:
> You are also in a very obscure niche.  How many people, other than the
> major active participants, are likely to even run the
> simulations/analyses in the first place, much less be able to understand
> the results and recognize a problem?  Would an issue found by someone
> outside the project but (due, in this hypothesis, to subversion) not
> reproducible on the project's machines be taken seriously?  Or would it
> simply be closed as "WORKSFORME"?
>
> OpenSSL is another FOSS project.  How long did Heartbleed go unnoticed?

OpenSSL is not a good example because there were no tests for
Heartbleed, whereas we do have formal proofs (they automatically cover
all corner cases if written correctly; OpenSSL did not have formal
proofs that could have caught Heartbleed) and unit tests that can be
relatively easily run by others.