[Libre-soc-dev] maybe buy fpga for adding to our ci server

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:21:29 BST 2022

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022, 03:30 lkcl <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 12:02 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > orangecrab can do usb serial emulation...
>
> that means that someone has to spend the time writing a USB port,
> because after having been treated so abusively by the lead developer
> of litex i'm not letting litex source code onto the server

didn't realize valentyusb was litex...

> an FT232 UART wired to the orangecrab on the other hand is
> a dead simple solution that makes it identical to all the other
> ECP5 boards.

k, sounds good, though I'll probably want to wire it to the build server's
internal rs232 port instead (iirc it's a header on the motherboard -- can
easily build the required level-shifting)...why waste a perfectly good
serial port? also allows me to put the fpga inside the server's case which
is important for protection from stuff accidentally falling on it...it's in
the corner of my bedroom.