[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction

Andrey Miroshnikov andrey at technepisteme.xyz
Thu Sep 9 21:11:50 BST 2021

Hello everyone,

My name's Andrey and I'm based in the UK. I'm currently self-employed
(building up my company, Scutum Electrum Ltd).

I've been aware of both EOMA-68 and Libre-SOC since late 2019, however
my job at the time had a fairly restrictive IP clause (essentially
anything I developed, even outside of work hours, would legally belong
to the company). Didn't want to take the chances. Now that I'm not under
a restrictive contract anymore, I'd like to join your team, as I agree
with the goal (honestly can't believe that there are no SoCs with fully
open-source drivers, of course mobile modems are even worse). Re-read
the charter and I agree with it's terms (very straightforward and to the
point).

Been looking at the mailing lists from Jul to Dec 2019, and let the
unread emails pile up and got burned out pretty quick (not gonna repeat
that mistake, now I catch up daily hahaha). Only re-subscribed last week.

Although my degree is in electronic engineering (graduated in 2019), for
the last year and a half I've been looking into programming language
grammar. It's a fascinating topic, here's a fun learning series where
you build a Pascal interpreter in Python:
https://ruslanspivak.com/lsbasi-part1/. After leaving my job I also
started looking into One-Instruction Set Computing or OISC. Wouldn't be
practical for Libre-SOC, but it's an interesting concept and perhaps
will be a useful teaching aid for low-level programming once I start
writing my report on it.

My last job was in system validation, where we tested our company's chip
design (the digital part of it) on an FPGA emulator by writing a great
set of test cases. Most of the job involved looking at a giant list of
registers, and based on the designer's documentation, figuring out which
functions should be prioritised for testing. Used a lot of C and Python
for that.

Just saw bug #22 and I guess you already have something similar to the
emulator that I described. Very, very cool, congrats on the first boot!

For the Libre-SOC project I'd like to do a bit of everything, so for now
I'll just setup the environment, look at the current bugs, and see what
hasn't been fixed yet. Today while installing the dependencies I noticed
a Debian package in the HDL Workflow wiki page that must've changed
names (python-nosetest3 now called python3-nose), so I could start with
that once I create an account.

At home I have the following that might be useful:
-TinyFPGA BX (ice40 fpga), DE0 Nano (cyclone 4 fpga)
-Soldering station, rework station, cheap usb microscope - I'm not the
greatest, but can solder 0402 (especially now that I have tweezers)
-ESD mat and wrist strap
-Current computer setup for Debian has 8GB RAM, quad core i5 sandybridge
-Cheap 16MHz logic analyser
-NanoVNA (might come in handy for antennas)

Unfortunately I don't have any proper measurement instrumentation or
bench equipment such as oscilloscopes or lab supplies (except my trusty
multimeter of course haha!), so for now there's not a lot of
characterisation I could do.

My IRC nick is "octavius" (I participated for the first time today, will
be back tomorrow).

If you would like to know more about me, my personal site is
https://technepisteme.xyz/

Thanks for reading,

Andrey