[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 21:39:38 BST 2021

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021, 13:12 Andrey Miroshnikov <andrey at technepisteme.xyz>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My name's Andrey and I'm based in the UK. I'm currently self-employed
> (building up my company, Scutum Electrum Ltd).

Welcome!

> I've been aware of both EOMA-68 and Libre-SOC since late 2019, however
> my job at the time had a fairly restrictive IP clause (essentially
> anything I developed, even outside of work hours, would legally belong
> to the company). Didn't want to take the chances. Now that I'm not under
> a restrictive contract anymore, I'd like to join your team, as I agree
> with the goal (honestly can't believe that there are no SoCs with fully
> open-source drivers,

Technically, the Talos II has fully-open software, though the HW is still
partially closed-source (the Power9 cpu in particular).

of course mobile modems are even worse). Re-read
> the charter and I agree with it's terms (very straightforward and to the
> point).
>
> Been looking at the mailing lists from Jul to Dec 2019, and let the
> unread emails pile up and got burned out pretty quick (not gonna repeat
> that mistake, now I catch up daily hahaha).

Yeah, we produce a lot of email...

Only re-subscribed last week.

> Although my degree is in electronic engineering (graduated in 2019), for
> the last year and a half I've been looking into programming language
> grammar. It's a fascinating topic, here's a fun learning series where
> you build a Pascal interpreter in Python:
> https://ruslanspivak.com/lsbasi-part1/. After leaving my job I also
> started looking into One-Instruction Set Computing or OISC.

I built a mov-based OISC about 5 years ago inside a cellular automation
simulation, I got it to run a linear-congruential random number generator.
For a similar computer, see Golly's primes.mc file, which is a 16-bit
mov-based OISC that finds prime numbers and outputs them to a display,
which has a binary-to-decimal converter. http://golly.sourceforge.net/