[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction

vivek pandya vivekvpandya at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 12:49:33 GMT 2021

Hi Jules,

Nice to meet you!

I have been working on this experimental driver for sometime now.
What I have been trying to do is inspired from
https://github.com/baldurk/visor , as I only work on this on weekends and I
am not an expert in mesa codebase or SwiftShader I am referring to simple
implementations like visor.
As this is a software rasterizer it has a GPUStatus struct to hold
indexBuffer and vertexBuffer , image is also stored as a pointer to bytes.
Basically no hw abstraction in linux driver space to use actual memory on a
device , everything is on CPU memory.

The driver is able to execute a simple DrawTriangle function which executes
vertex shader and fragment shader  through LLVM's ORCJit but it does not
generate meaningful results. Because codegeneration is not yet aware about
the GPUStatus struct, that is the next thing I have to do to get the first
triangle. Current code generation is all code copied from AMD's radv driver
implementation which is not a software rasterizer.
The resterization is a bit slower but it can be improved by threads but not
a priority for now.

However since the driver is able to receive the Draw command that means
lots of vkCreate... functions are implemented to do basic stuff that is
required to get up to this point.
Also I am able to run
https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/api-without-secrets-introduction-to-vulkan-part-2.html
that means driver is able to use image from a CPU memory and present it on
display with mesa's WSI layers. And hopefully that means I am on the right
path. Once I update codegen to use GPUStruct and get a triangle on screen
it should be sufficient to prove that this is the correct way.

The codebase is in C so it's a bit painful to work with. Also I have to use
LLVM's C bindings to create IR an and that is very painful compared to
LLVM's C++ API.
The code has lots of unused code as I started copying things from other
implementations, I will clean up things but not a priority.

An experienced mesa/vulkan driver engineer may not have taken this path but
once I get a triangle on screen I will be more confident about my approach.

Hope this helps and if you dig into the codebase please feel free to send
email to my email address (CC list) . I will be happy to explain.

Thanks!
Vivek