[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Mar 13 13:52:03 GMT 2021

(cc'ing eduardo and vivek, see
http://lists.libre-soc.org/pipermail/libre-soc-dev/2021-March/002087.html
)

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 1:31 PM Jules Penuchot <jules at penuchot.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just introducing myself, my name is Jules Penuchot, I'm doing a PhD
> thesis at Paris-Saclay University on generative programming for parallel
> computing.

oo :)

> My work basically consists in finding ways to leverage
> generative programming techniques (from template meta-programming to
> more bleeding edge techniques like compile-time fragment injection) to
> write high performance software that's as portable and maintainable as
> possible.

nice.  did you see the latest by Xilinx?
https://www.eetimes.com/xilinx-opens-up-vitis-hls-tool-for-fpgas/
they haven't released the LLVM-IR-to-netlist conversion part
(that's still proprietary) but it is a good start.

> I've been developing clang frontend tools for source transformation
> recently, and I saw you needed a C++ dev with compiler experience to
> work on a MESA 3D driver.

yes.  vivek is the lead on this.

> I don't consider myself experienced enough to
> take the lead on such a project, but I'd be more than glad to assist.
> There is a lot for me to learn in the process, and I'd be more than
> happy to contribute to a project like Libre-SOC.

fantastic, great to hear from you.  so as you can see i posted just last week
about the roadmap for this driver:
http://lists.libre-soc.org/pipermail/libre-soc-dev/2021-March/002089.html

it's a progressive series of steps that has some interesting side-effects:
a general-purpose software-rendered 3D MESA driver is one of them.

i'll let vivek respond: if you're happy with the plan then we can move to
the next step(s), are you happy with the Charter, you've found the mailing
list already, etc. etc.

warmest,