[Libre-soc-dev] setvl immediate field definition broken

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Mar 13 00:30:45 GMT 2021

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest redefining the immediate field to be bits 16:23 inclusive,
> and setting bits 16 or 17 causes an illegal exception. fields.text
> will need to be modified too.

numbers in MSB0 format are a damn nuisance.

can i suggest just using all bits then saying "values greater than 63 are
reserved"?

that would have the desired effect without complicating things and without
confusing thr hell out of me about which damn end the MSBs are in.

it also makes it clear what the bits are for (larger VL, later)