[Libre-soc-dev] scalar instructions and SVP64

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Mar 10 13:53:02 GMT 2021

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 3:39 AM Adam Van Ymeren <adam at vany.ca> wrote:

> I can see it being a bit of extra work for compilers to know that accessing high numbered registers requires a bit of extra work but that really doesn't sound unworkable to me.

i would really love that we had the old SVP64 format, where VL and
MAXVL were embedded into 12 bits of the prefix.  that would solve
this... but the trade-off is: we lose *all* of the modes which have
been added instead.

> I can however imagine that adding a special case for VL==0 could result in many more gates/complication for the OoO/scoreboard execution engine.

yes, basically.  no design of any kind could ever be high-performance.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 3:10 AM Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> uniformity is extremely important for object code generators.
>
> Every exception needs to be programmed around and introduces potential
> code generation bugs.

yes.  this is *another* detrimental consequence of what is best termed
"Complex-V".

there will be permutations that don't "make sense".  it looks on the
face of it like these could, surely, be used "for other purposes"?
and the answer's no, they can't.