[Libre-soc-dev] Questions about the logos.

Staf Verhaegen (FibraServi) staf at fibraservi.eu
Tue Jun 15 12:29:17 BST 2021

On 15/06/2021 13:01, Jean-Paul Chaput wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-06-15 at 11:05 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> ---
>> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 10:50 AM Jean-Paul Chaput <Jean-Paul.Chaput at lip6.fr>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Staf,
>>>
>>> As said in the title, I have some questions about including
>>> the logo:
>>>
>>> 1. The GDS do not contains the logo drawn in the top metal layer,
>>>     but also all the other metals. I assume it is for density reasons.
For packaging it is OK to only have logo on top metal layer. I did it on
a test chip in all metal layers as I was not routing limited and I did
put the logo in a corner. Also if ever a die would be delayered you
would still have the logo on each metal layer.
For density one indeed has to make sure that you don't mess up density.
If you put a LOGO layer on top that may block generation of dummies.
Structures with LOGO on top (can) have more relaxed DRC rules, if you
obey normal DRC rules LOGO layer can be left of.

>>> 2. In additions to those layers, there is a layer Id 150, with
>>>     DATATYPE 1 to 6. What are they for? I
>>
>> blockage, i presume?  which layer number is that supposed to be?
>    Could not tell you which number it is (NDA :-( ), but I have it
>    and it is not 150...
It are kind of blockage layers. But these are the layers to block dummy
fill on layer metal1 - metal6.

>> f they need to be included,
>>>     we must create an associated basic layers in techno.py.
>>>
>>> 3. Where do I put the logos on the chip.
>>
>> bottom left
>>
>> They are all around 150um
>>>     wide, and that do not fit in the spare triangular area in the
>>>     pads corners.
>>>
>> they need to be actually visible under a microscope for TSMC's
>> people to get the orientation correct - by hand - when putting into
>> the package.
>    We can assume that, as they need to see the bounding area of the
>    pads, a size close to it is big enough. So, one square logo of
>    50nm side would perfectly fit.

Actually I think the software generates figure with pixels of 1um square
and then instantiates the top with a magnification to make it (and the
pixels) smaller. The LOGOs should be able to fit in the corners, one
could also spread the logo over different corners. One should not have
to increase the die size because of adding the logos. I also think a
logo of 50um square should be OK.

greets,
Staf.

--