[Libre-soc-dev] Rust's SIMD project group

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Sep 30 09:29:10 BST 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 5:05 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Started a conversation with them about cooperating on design:
> https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/257879-project-portable-simd/topic/Libre-SOC's.20SimpleV

err .. ah.  that's a closed and secretive chat system, where the
default, being closed, means that anything discussed there cannot be
made public without explicit consent ot each and every individual who
own the copyright on each and every one of their statements made
behind that system.

if the chat system was public (no login required) then "by default",
implicitly each individual's comment would, because it was published,
at least be possible to refer to and discuss *outside* of the
secretive and closed chat system.

their statements would still be copyrighted: we could not arbitrarily
copy them verbatim elsewhere, but at least we could discuss and refer
to them.

> They are focusing on traditional SIMD first and variable-length vectors
> later.

that's great.

unfortunately nobody but the participants can see the discussion.
you'll need to ask explicit permission from each and every single one
of the participants in that chat if you can publish their individual
statements, outside of that secretive and closed chat system.

so i apologise for having to make this abundantly clear, jacob: please
*do not* share on this list *any* copyrighted material - statements
made on that secretive and closed chat system - without gaining
*explicit* permission from the person who made that "chat statement".

you can of course "summarise" what they said, and that will be your
copyrighted material.  you can of course choose to share (verbatim)
what *you* wrote, because that is also your copyrighted material.

however if you cut/paste *anything* that someone writes on that closed
and secretive chat system here into this list without their explicit
and expressed permission, you will be in breach of copyright law and,
by sharing it outside of the chat system on here, would make me, as
the person responsible for managing this list, an "accessory" to
copyright infringement.

this could put this project in serious jeapordy by illegally hosting
copyrighted material without the consent of its author, so please *do
not* do that.

sorry to have to emphasise that so strongly and repeatedly: it's
really important and a rather unfortunate consequence of copyright
law.