[Libre-soc-dev] git.libre-soc.org mesa repo branch

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Sep 10 12:49:00 BST 2020

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 06:11:23AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Thursday, September 10, 2020, vivek pandya <vivekvpandya at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:49 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <
> > lkcl at lkcl.net>
> > wrote:

> > > the transparency requirements of NLnet's "Privacy and Enhanced Trust"
> > > Grant need to be met, Vivek.  plus if someone else joins you and
> > > wishes to help out, "waiting" actively prevents and prohibits them
> > > from doing that, doesn't it?
> > >
> > > I agree, but I am bit nervous. The reason is writing a SW renderer
> > through
> > a JIT is not as easy as writing a toy language JIT for CPU.
> > There is lots of work yet remaining so this "Initial" driver.
>

> indeed. so getting some extra help and support for you would be a good
> thing :)

> > > much
> > >
> > > please understand: the "quality" or "status" should in no way be
> > > considered a deciding factor as to whether code should or should not
> > > be made available.  it should *always* be made available.   if code is
> > > not "pushed" within a few minutes of it being written and tested, this
> > > should be considered a "red flag".
> > >
> > I do push as soon as I get enough confidence about the code after testing.
> > Even after working ~7 hours on Saturdays and Sundays , for such a policy my
> > work is considered a "red flag" then that is a little discouraging.
>

> ah you misunderstand, or have an accidental correlation: the procedures are
> in no way a reflection on the value of the work itself.
>
> you say "my work is red flagged" where i said "if the *procedures* are not
> followed that is a red flag" (associated with the *procedures* not the work
> or its quality).
>
> huge difference :)

The developers of monotone, another distributed revision control
system, recommend making a branch for every bug, and pushing it to
any central repositories early in the process, before it's even
debugged.  That way anyone in the project can look at it and offer
reviews and advice.  This does mean a lot of short-term named
branches, but a problem with a not-yet-tested fix wont shut
anyone else out of their work.

And short-term branches ar e a lot easier to merge than long-term
ones.

-- hendrik

> to give you an example of why committing and pushing is so important: only
> last week i lost git commits not once but TWICE due to a faulty laptop PSU.

Feeling free to push early to a branch without fear of
interfering with others' work would make this less likely.

-- hendrik