[Libre-soc-dev] OpenPOWER Summit NA 2020 I See you soon!

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Sep 9 20:12:41 BST 2020

(do remember to trim context, cole)

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020, Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> privacy or any other rights. Something we in doing our LIBRE chip are
> actively working to fix.

well sadly we can't do anything about the web services however at least by
not adding in DRM or Treacherous Computing at the hardware level we can
make sure that people are not "tied" to their device, and can at least
replace or upgrade the OS.

unlike in apple's new processor.  i can't quite get over the fact that
nobody else has noticed quite how serious it is for apple to literally own
the entire stack, from processor to product to bootloader to OS.

> But the whole idea of "your rights are
> whatever we say they are as you 'chose' to agree to them by using our
> service is draconian in the extreme.

this kind of polarisation and ostracisation was precisely why i continued
the samba network reverse engineering i started doing back in 1995: to
allow the windows and UNIX worlds to talk to each other without hindrance.

the trick in this case (the processor) is going to be to reach a technical
level sufficient for the priducts they go into to be "on par" with the
alternatives by ARM, Intel, Apple and so on.

which is an extremely ambitious goal as it means having to not just create
a processor it means having mass volume products that *use* that processor.