[Libre-soc-dev] daily kan-ban update 15oct2020

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:37:23 BST 2020

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> you need a way to confirm that the program uploaded actually did
> something.  this means connecting to the serial port on the FPGA board
> with a program that talks to serial ports.  one such program is called
> "minicom".

With you.

> also this is completely meaningless if the FPGA binary doesn't
> actually configure the FPGA to *do* something involving the serial
> console.  however in this particular case the Litex BIOS has in fact
> been configured to "do something".

With you.

> > I'm struggling, as clearly I'm
> > missing critical steps/pieces of information, such as 'run minicom on
> > the serial console', and how to run minicom on the serial console...
>
> search for it!!  this should be your first automatic reaction when
> given keywords that you don't understand or know about.
> https://www.google.com/search?q=minicom+ulx3s
>
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/ULX3S-Blinky
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/ULX3S-Blinky/tree/master/Echo

Ah thank you, was going to look up minicom after you told me, but I
didn't know I needed it or even that it existed until you just told
me. Are there any other steps other that running `./versa_ecp5.py
--fpga ulx3s85f --load` with minicom running in a separate terminal?

By the way am stuck struggling trying to get minicom working, get this
error `minicom: cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory` and
tryint `minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0` like is suggested when I try to look
this up also fails saying `cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0`.. but it seems
like it should work becuase this is the output of demesg | grep tty
`[938169.823961] usb 1-4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now
attached to ttyUSB0`.

Is there some standard way of doing this that I'm failing to find in my search?

Cole