[Libre-soc-dev] efficient decoding algorithm for variable-length instructions

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Nov 26 18:33:17 GMT 2020

On 11/26/20, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it can be done in much less than that (would fit entirely into the
> scheme I proposed with 32/48-bit in opcode 0, 64-bit in opcode 1 shared
> with v3.1 instructions), I'll make a prototype soon.

you've missed two crucial points:

1) reassuring a Silver Member of the OPF that we've listened to what
they have to say is a higher priority

2) redesigning SV Prefixes and taking 2 to 3 months to do so will
jeapordise our timeline.

i cannot emphasise strongly enough that we need to be strict with
ourselves about pruning potential development paths.

we need to deliver and fast.

can you therefore please make some notes (so that we can return to it
in 1 years time once we have a "100% completed NLnet Project") but
otherwise shelve and defer full replacement alternatives that
duplicate the work done 18 months ago and help get us to 100%
completion?

if we do not get to 100% Project Completion *we cannot apply for any
more money* from NLnet.

this is extremely important, Jacob, to avoid reinventing and
discarding because it might be "more perfect".