[Libre-soc-dev] Access to power work station

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Nov 21 19:03:07 GMT 2020

On 11/21/20, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at gnu.org> wrote:
> [going through the archives, resurrecting old threats]
>
> On Aug 18, 2020, lkcl at lkcl.net (Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton) wrote:
>
>>> After that may be I can switch to new machine (I will buy it) or request
>>> access to Power based work station.
>
>> ok.
>
>> send me an ssh key anyway.
>
>> one very important thing: as a libre project we are self hosting.
>
> [...]
>
>> this is so that the project development is fully transparent and fulfils
>> NLNet's funding remit.
>
> Is the use of build machines from the GCC compile farm acceptable, per
> NLNet's rules?
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

of all of them, one looks like it is POWER9
https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/munin/gccfarm/gcc135/index.html

> I was planning to do that, when needing access to PPC, or just a faster
> build box than my local librebooted laptops, but I'd be glad to use
> other hardware resources as recommended by the project.

well, we've been sponsored with access to a TALOS-II workstation by
Raptor Engineering, it is a monster and not loaded up with other
tasks.  send me an ssh key and i can give you access to it.

also we are free and clear to do full OS reinstalls although doing
this remotely is a bit of a pig.  i just about managed to get a daily
40mb debian/testing netboot ISO uploaded to its remote management web
console before it timed out, and was doubly lucky in that that daily
build happened to be functional.

it would be preferable to run virtual machines under the current OS
rather than install a new native host OS.