[Libre-soc-dev] RFC on mission

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Nov 21 15:05:51 GMT 2020

On 11/21/20, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2020, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/20, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at gnu.org> wrote:
>>> I wanted users to be able to trust the hardware, not just customers.
>
>> this ultimately means that we have to take responsibility for actually
>> creating and selling products that meet those requirements.
>
> To make sure that happens in 100% of the cases, yeah, that would be the
> case, and we'd have to not sell components to any customer.
>
> But that's not what I'm aiming for.
>

> My suggestion is just that we add ' and users' next to customers in our
> mission statement, so that:
>
> (i) there's no doubt that we'd like the trust (and freedom) to be
> extended to downstream users, not just our direct customers.

https://libre-soc.org/3d_gpu/mission_statement/

i don't have a problem with making it clear that we expect business
partners to have a conscience and be aware of and avoid harm to users.

however this is something that, given it is the mission statement
we're talking, everyone would need to be happy with.

given that we're funded by NLnet (works for the public good, Privacy
and Enhanced Trust) this aligns well, i feel.