[Libre-soc-dev] daily kan-ban update 10nov2020

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 08:46:43 GMT 2020

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 1:33 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 7:51 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > today:
> > wrote out the definitions registers and for the 4 or 5 instructions
> > initially supported in power-cpu-sim. I picked the instructions used
> > in the example loop in:
> > https://libre-soc.org/3d_gpu/architecture/compared_to_register_renaming/
>
> jacob: do you see how long this is taking you?

yeah, it took 2-3 days longer than expected since I was stubborn and
started reimplementing the C++ standard library instead of switching
targets and rewriting my code.

> the expectation - the dozens of questions that you've not answered in
> the bugreport - i asked because the need - the requirement - is to do
> FAST (throw-away, maximum a few hours) programs - in order to aid and
> assist in a conversation, to save time by evaluating options
> **BEFORE** the time (one, two, three, four weeks) are spent.

Sorry, I don't think it's possible (at my rate of coding at least) to
get something working that could generate those markdown tables in
Python, C++, or Rust. I'd estimate at least 2-3 days.

> what you've done is *ignore* the questions, and are developing
> something that hasn't been discussed or evaluated.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the plan was to build a program
for generating markdown tables, then we could both play around with it
and discuss the generated output. Since there are apparently questions
I haven't answered, would you please point me to them? I've kinda lost
track of where exactly they are.

> now, it's perfectly fine to develop something that you really want to
> (because it's interesting), i do that all the time.
>
> however what we need is *discussion and communication*.
>
> can you let me know when you're happy to come back to answering the
> questions and to engage in the discussion?

right now. (actually probably tomorrow morning, since I'll be going to
bed soon since it's 1am).