[Libre-soc-dev] daily kan-ban update 14may2021

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun May 16 11:11:34 BST 2021

On Sunday, May 16, 2021, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:

> You completely missed the point of that mail. I did not manually create
> a symlink. I described what the "python setup.py develop" was doing,
> and highlighted it was stupid.

i know.  i re-read it, and totally agree.

python 3.9 is looking alarmingly "rushed".  i am not impressed, at all.

i am also not impressed that debian/testing python team gave absolutely
ZERO stabilisation time between releasing debian/11 (which used python3.8)
and going to python3.9.

as i run on debian/testing it has caused huge problems, i cannot perform
upgrades because of the quantity of software installed.

(this has nothing to do with python, it's a long-standing issue with the
*debian* python maintainers not listening to constructive feedback)

> I will be installing a Debian 10 VM.

wheww.  sorry i didn't advise you of that initially.  a debootstrap chroot
should be sufficient, no need to go "full VM".

> However, given you know how crap python is, why are we using it again?

because it is 30 years in development and up until this exact moment has
served its purpose extremely well.

 my feeling is that this is a combination of factors:

1) rush-job changes in python3.9

2) debian trying to copy ubuntu and arch, and rush ahead in some sort of
stupid "keep it on the bleeding edge" cycle

3) the developer of either the package setup tools *or* the astor package
not having sufficient time to get to know what the hell is going on

sticking with stable software that has plenty of time to have these things
fall out of the woodwork is good enough.  we have absolutely no need
whatsoever of the latest-and-greatest features of python 3.8 or 3.9