[Libre-soc-dev] daily kan-ban update 14may2021

Lauri Kasanen cand at gmx.com
Sun May 16 06:31:15 BST 2021

On Sat, 15 May 2021 18:28:28 +0100
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> you *must not* create arbitrary random symbolic links - you *really
> do* have to run that command "python3 setup.py develop" in order to
> trigger it to install the dependencies.

You completely missed the point of that mail. I did not manually create
a symlink. I described what the "python setup.py develop" was doing,
and highlighted it was stupid.

Git knows how to go up dirs to find .git. For a 30-year old language to
have issues like "module does not find itself despite it being running"
is just laughable.

> the "normal" installation process is incredibly simple.

Yes, I was trying to avoid the unneeded parts. Since I won't be doing
HDL.

> please stop using python 3.9 immediately, it will only get worse from here.
>
> nobody in the team uses python 3.9: we standardised on debian/10 and
> python 3.7.  pretty much exactly for this reason, that the Python
> Software Foundation is rushing ahead without due consideration.

I will be installing a Debian 10 VM.

However, given you know how crap python is, why are we using it again?
It should be a very high priority to get away from that. If not for
HDL, at least for the simulator and utils run by more people than just
the core HDL devs.

- Lauri