[Libre-soc-dev] GitLab-CI fixes

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 4 20:28:21 BST 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 5:50 PM Jonathan Neuschäfer
<j.neuschaefer at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Formalities first: I'm Jonathan, I've been on the tuesday call for a few
> weeks.

i noticed.  nice to hear from you.

> I accept the Libre-SOC charter.

star.  welcome.

> After recent discussions about the lack of CI, I spent some time bringing
> the GitLab-CI configuration in soc.git back in shape. My work can be found at:
>
>         https://gitlab.com/neuschaefer/soc.git ci

ah excellent, i just merged those, they look reasonable.

> Short log up to commit 95c8acbdce34ed94010333deea93bedb0a32fffa:
>
> Jonathan Neuschäfer (10):
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Rewrite git://git.libre-riscv.org URLs to https://git.libre-soc.org/
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Remove tags from nmigen-soc repo
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Install Rust and cargo
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Clone and build openpower-isa
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Clone and build c4m-jtag
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Clone and build power-instruction-analyzer
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Fix invocation of pywriter
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Trim log output
>       .gitlab-ci.yml: Silence pywriter harder
>       minerva tests: Don't import soc.minerva.csr
>
> With these patches, the tests can run again. Many tests still fail or
> run into errors (Python module not found, mostly; details attached), but
> I think it's a good start.

excellent.  btw, 96k debug logs sent to the list, geeennnerally we
don't do that, using e.g. pastebin somewhere and sending the link,
instead.  otherwise the server quickly runs out of disk space.

> I know that libre-soc.org won't switch to GitLab[1],

insane loadavg, massive resource utilisation (at idle!), massive
security-hole footprint, headaches all round.  not happening.

> and it doesn't have
> to: A GitLab(-CI) instance can be run alongside git.libre-soc.org by
> anyone who wants to spend the time/effort/money. I tested on gitlab.com
> (until I ran out of my monthly free allowance of 300 minutes) and a
> private GitLab instance.

jacob does have one up and running on a machine behind the VPN connection.

i've never looked at these gitlab-ci things before.  i'm curious as to
why the dev-env-setup scripts are not used?

this would avoid huge duplication of commands and also ensure that the
dev-env-setup scripts themselves were tested.
https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=dev-env-setup.git;a=tree;h=6b79a0fea2052a8b35a4f130a64c119983d40f3c;hb=6b79a0fea2052a8b35a4f130a64c119983d40f3c

thoughts?