[Libre-soc-dev] ls180 update

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Apr 19 13:56:11 BST 2021

On Monday, April 19, 2021, Jean-Philippe Turcotte <jp2k5 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > https://doc.fed4fire.eu/getanaccount.html
> >
> > jean-phillipe can you sign up there, then request to join the project
> named
> > "libre-soc"?
>
> Done!

Excellent will add you shortly.

> > i am trusting you not to screw with these machines if we are granted
> > access, e.g. don't use them for bitcoin mining like some russian
> scientists
> > did a few years back.
>
> Thank you for your trust. Yeah, that would be illegal. But I do swear to
> abide by the platform’s terms.

:)

> Do we know what kind of resources we will get?

about 200 cores across dozens of machines, each with between 128 and 512 GB
of RAM.

> > you will still need cocotb, verilator, etc. etc. and this git repo:
> > https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=soc-cocotb-sim.git;a=summary
> >
> > which needs documenting.
>
> Oh, that will be fun. :P
>
> > ssh.  brain-dead-simple.  list the hosts in an env variable
> > (DISTCC_HOSTS). copy ssh keys to each host.  export CC=distcc.  it
> > really couldn't get any simpler.
> > https://linux.die.net/man/1/distcc
>
> That does seem simple, although I will have to learn how SSH works, which
> I need to do anyway. The only downside is that I will have to spawn VMs
> manually or learn how to use containers.

the only thing required in the VM is a c compiler.

apt-get install gcc llvm.

if creating a container for that it is a bit... redundant, because you
probably had to install the compiler in order to build the container.