[Libre-soc-dev] silicon catalyst starting in canada

Staf Verhaegen staf at fibraservi.eu
Sun Oct 18 10:47:50 BST 2020

Cole Poirier schreef op za 17-10-2020 om 16:54 [-0700]:

> > I haven't dived into this technique specifically but my opinion is that
> > we should first try to walk before trying to run. There are enough
> > 'classic' low-power techniques to implement in the next years before
> > one need to resort to some fancy technique.
> >
> > Typically ultra-low power techniques like differential computing, sub-
> > threshold computing etc are not meant for compute targeted applications
> > like high operating frequency 4-core CPU + GPU.
>
> That's very helpful Staf, thanks for taking the time to explain this
> to me. To be clear I was not suggesting we should actually *try* this.
> I shared here because I wanted to know if this was possibly relevant
> or totally irrelevant but I have no knowledge of electronics so I
> needed help to make this determination. You have given me a clear
> answer that this isn't useful or applicable, so thanks for your help!

Personally I think if you want to understand ASIC development I think
it is better to study the datasheets/manuals of the proprietary EDA
tools and try to understand all techniques they currently use in
production rather than chasing the next fancy paper or start-up. All
IMHO of course.

greets,
Staf.