[libre-riscv-dev] IEEE754 FPU turning into ALU with Reservation Stations

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Mar 18 13:41:49 GMT 2019

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 1:19 PM Aleksandar Kostovic
<alexandar.kostovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> >how did you get on?
> Actually did nothung more than importing a module.
>
> I am kind of stuck tbh. With this new code base i understand 0 things.
> Previous one was much more readable and straight forward.

 i know.  i'm not happy about it: the problem is, it's "intermediary
morphing" code - experimentation - that might need removing, or might
not.  until it looks reasonable, it's not safe to cut any of it out.

 plus, it has to stay working at all times, otherwise we're screwed.

> Will take some time to get used to it, but i will do it!

 i'll walk you through the steps needed to get in sync, don't worry
about quotes understanding the code quotes.

 i only have a vague idea of the direction, and will know what the
"right" code looks like once i see it... but i can't explain it
because it's essential to go through these intermediary steps /
changes, to get there, to keep the code working at all times.

 so, if you apply those 2 git diffs (by hand), and check that each
modification works, by running the unit tests, we can get there
step-by-step, ok?