[libre-riscv-dev] Google Summer of Code

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 21 13:26:36 GMT 2019

... sorry, jacob: i wasted an awful lot of my time with the GSoC
people, had two people really really interested in a project that
would have made a big big difference to the amount of time and money
needed to be spent on this SoC.  when i said "no absolutely you cannot
have my real identity, i have a pre-established online identity of
over 25 years prominent online standing" they refused to discuss it.

i think they realised that if they made any waves, they could lose
their jobs.  rather than do that they ceased communicating.  which
reminds me of the BBC Documentary from the 1990s on the Nazis.  the
introduction included the incredibly poignant phrase, "I sewed the
badges: I was only doing my job".

now of course we've had google employees quit over the "china censored
search", and the concept of employees *independently* `introducing
ethics into their decisions is beginning to take hold.