[libre-riscv-dev] Vulkan trademark licensing

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 01:33:42 BST 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 16:42 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 10:30 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about Luke trying to work out trademark issues with
> the
> > RISC-V Foundation and I realized that we will need to handle the similar
> > issue of licensing the Vulkan trademark from Khronos. Anyone have plans
> on
> > what to do?
>
>  hmmm, well... the mesagl project doesn't have an issue, so there is a
> lead to follow there
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_(computer_graphics)
>
>  basically from what i gather, it's if "compliance" is asserted
> (without permission) that they could get antsy.  however, a libre
> project, which *helps* the khronos group, is a different ballgame.
>
>From what I understand, x.org negotiated a special deal with khronos such
that if they pass the compliance test suite on hardware that is already
certified to be compliant by a paying company, then they can use the
trademark.
See https://www.x.org/wiki/Khronos/
we won't be able to use that deal since:
1. we don't have hardware that is already certified to be compliant by a
paying company
2. we are not affiliated with x.org

> > I do have a contact in Khronos (worked with them to implement
> > Vulkan support in libSDL), though they might be the wrong person to
> contact.
>
> it'd be a good place to start, they might be able to help find the right
> person.

ok. just to confirm, we would need to have the entire discussion with
Khronos publicly, right?