[libre-riscv-dev] 1R1W regfiles

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Dec 19 18:41:03 GMT 2018

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:17 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you will need more crossbars than that, though I'll have to check.
>
> Assuming the scalar performance doesn't matter and we don't need more crossbars, I like it.
>
> We could improve the scalar performance by switching to 2r1w and vector could then read 256-bits at a time rather than 512-bits.
>
> 2r1w will also allow us to use fpga's block ram by splitting it into 2 reg files that hold the same data and using 1r1w block ram, allowing the fpga design to be much smaller.

 ok that's quite important.

> This should probably be on the mailing list.

 yep :)

 i'll do a more detailed response tomorrow, summary:

* "3R1W 4 banks" allows 4 32-bit FMACs/clock cycle to be done...
however we only actually need 2 (if quad-core and if 800mhz)

* "2R1W 4 banks" will be 2 32-bit FMACs/clock and will only need QTY 2
16x16 8-bit-wide crossbars

* "1R1W" will require *EIGHT* banks in order to generate 2 32-bit
FMACs/clock, which means a MASSIVE 32x32 8-bit-wide crossbar.

l.