[Libre-soc-dev] Fwd: Why My 66000 is and is not RISC

Andrey Miroshnikov andrey at technepisteme.xyz
Mon Jan 30 13:30:37 GMT 2023

On 30/01/2023 10:56, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton via Libre-soc-dev wrote:
> the same analysis applies to alignment of any-width at at-double-width.
> this discussion is on comp.arch.
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.arch/c/UvprSM9xJfM
>
> l.
>
> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68

I don't remember if you've mentioned this before, but have you
considered J2 (the open-hardware cleanroom implementation of Hitachi's
SH-2 ISA) as the basis of Libre-SOC? Or is it too niche to be applicable
to super-scalar applications?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperH
https://j-core.org/

I'm guessing the fixed 16-bit instructions are just too limiting to be
practical if intended to be used for large computation (not enough CPU
registers).

Andrey