[Libre-soc-dev] Hosting Nextcloud

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:52:20 GMT 2023

Greetings Tobias, Luke, et al,

I started setting up a local "proof-of-concept" Nextcloud server
instance on my laptop and was quickly presented with an option:
configure under Apache or nginx web server?

1.  Apache configuration is available through Ubuntu packages.
2.  nginx configuration is available from someone who maintains a set
of instructions.[*]

I was thinking about this because I have read Luke's advice about
setting up a website to host a free software/hardware development
project.  He mentioned that the nginx web server tends to consume
considerably fewer resources.  It comes down to a trade-off between
ease of deployment versus level of resources required to host.  There
are undoubtedly other factors at play such as vulnerability to attack.
Presently, my proof of concept is going to start by being deployed
behind my local firewall/router on private LAN.  If successful, I
would like to register a domain name and either acquire a static IP
address from my ISP or use a dynamic DNS provider and migrate the
server to a dedicated machine--possibly EOMA68 prototype once I get it
running!

Sincerely,
Richard

Reference: