[Libre-soc-dev] idea: get grant from rust foundation to add powerpc/svp64 backend to cranelift

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 22 09:37:29 GMT 2023

On Tuesday, February 21, 2023, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023, 14:35 Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023, 14:27 Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> i suggested in the tue meeting that maybe I could apply for a nlnet
grant for this instead of from the rust foundation, luke liked that idea
and also suggested that, if the rust foundation grant goes through nlnet
that it likely wouldn't be a problem, it would be supplemental money for
the nlnet grant.

>> i asked on the rust zulip if it would be a problem for a rust foundation
project grant went through nlnet:

https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/335408-foundation/topic/project.20grants.20through.20nlnet.3F/near/329305447

> got a reply:
> Sage Griffin (they/them): Generally speaking I don't see an obvious
reason this would be a problem, we've had no issue with going through
companies as a legal entity for grantees in the past. That said, I'm not
sure we can reasonably say for sure in this specific case without details

reminder that every minute you spend on low priority tasks
not immediately useful to libre-soc burdens the rest of the
team as they have to pick up the slack.

there is corrections to nmigen to remove UserCastable, move
the smt lib to an object within the formal proof nmigen library,
the formal IEEE754 Library Formal Proofs, the Test API,
integration of the IEEE754 FP Pipelines, development of
the RFCs, creation of Compliance Test Suites, dozens of pieces
of work.

it would be much more valuable for you to pick up any one
of those pieces of work and offer to do it than for you to
focus right now on something that is a massive distraction
of no immediate benefit and breaks your committment to NLnet
to be full-time working on the many Grants already underway.