[Libre-soc-dev] maybe get ryzen 7950x for faster compilation and avx512

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Mon Sep 26 20:30:59 BST 2022

----- Original Message -----

Indeed, but the firmware for those CPUs is much, much more minimal -- it's "just" horizontal microcode, and as such the potential for a fatal security vulnerability is much lower than with a system that incorporates a PSP.  With the PSP, there's a much higher liklihood that a vulnerability found after the system is out of support makes it effectively impossible to connect the system to the Internet at all.

> when (again, not if) a security flaw is found in the PSP firmware, it's not
>> going to be worth much or even potentially fit for purpose.  Resale value
>> in that case is probably scrap value.
>>

> actually not really, the i7 7700k is just over 5yr old now and is still
> worth around 60% of its original launch price.

Correct, but then again there's no active exploit released yet. ;)  Firmware level exploits are relatively new and are starting to ramp up, so it is probably not a good idea to extrapolate from past "status quo" in terms of malware writers and their interation with vendor signed firmware.

>> I'm also fundamentally opposed to purchasing proprietary hardware as part
>> of a libre design effort, unless there is no other choice.
>

> because of the 2x single-threaded speedup, i'd estimate a ~30% total
> speedup for developing formal proofs and other things that require running
> long-running single-threaded tasks as part of writing/testing code. this is
> very substantial.

How many single threads do you intend to run at once?  Again, it's probably worth doing a cost analysis with the intended workload as to whether a physical machine, leased server, or leased VPS would be the most cost effective over the timeframe such workloads are expected to be run.  There is no specific reason to have physical control of the hardware in this case unless the cost analysis shows that to be the cheapest option.

>  Saving a bit of time up front, but then having to deal with the system
>> integrity issues that said proprietary hardware presents later on may not
>> be the best long-term decision.
>>

> that's true, though the part we'd likely care the most about in terms of
> integrity is our source code, git makes reviewing new changes and noticing
> force pushes pretty easy.

What if the simulation is subverted or corrupted in a way that introduces (or overlooks) a security flaw?  Undetected PSP RCE is the primary concern, and especially if LibreSoC is targeted at security sensitive applications worldwide it may well be worth a state level actor's time to do this.  At minimum, there should be a plan to verify the results on a slower but more secure machine, e.g. POWER9 or even the older Bulldozer systems.  POWER would be preferred just from a dogfooding perspective IMO.