[Libre-soc-dev] evga stopping making gpus

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 00:41:17 BST 2022

> On Sep 16, 2022, at 17:45, Jacob Lifshay via Libre-soc-dev <libre-soc-dev at lists.libre-soc.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022, 12:47 Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> evga is apparently stopping making gpus due to issues with nvidia:
>> https://youtu.be/cV9QES-FUAM

Didn’t Nvidia make the GPU’s and EVGA make graphics cards using Nvidia’s GPU’s?

>> sounds like an opportunity for libre-soc and red semiconductor
>
> i realized what i meant wasn't very clear, i meant that there would soon be
> a bunch of pcb/cooling/etc. engineers looking for work, not that we should
> try to sell nvidia gpus.

I’m sure they are smart engineers but it sounds to me like they have expertise in integrating Nvidia’s GPU’s on PCIe for x86-64 architecture hardware instead of designing the chips.  They sound like they have the skill set to make a system using chips made by Red Semiconductor.  I’m not trying to say they can’t contribute to libre-soc right now, just that the skill set they were hired for at EVGA will probably be more useful to libre-soc once we have working silicon.