[Libre-soc-dev] open 7nm gaa pdk

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Jul 13 11:35:01 BST 2022

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 9:39 AM Jacob Lifshay via Libre-soc-dev
<libre-soc-dev at lists.libre-soc.org> wrote:

> Manili mentioned this pdk on irc:
> https://libre-soc.org/irclog/%23libre-soc.2022-07-13.log.html#t2022-07-13T09:18:45
> https://github.com/The-OpenROAD-Project/asap7
>
> idk if it has everything needed or if it is usable by Coriolis II, but it
> looks awesome!
>
> Is this something we can use if/when we want to target 7nm?

by LT Clark · 2016 · Cited by 281 — We describe a 7-nm predictive
process design kit (PDK)
called the ASAP7 PDK, developed in collaboration with ARM Ltd. for
academic use. The PDK is ...

it claims to be a Foundry-agnostic PDK.
https://asap.asu.edu/

in practical terms that means it's not an actual Foundry PDK, it will be
more like something that can be run through DRC checking and etc.
etc. but no Foundry *actually* can take the GDS-II Files and create
actual silicon.

to create an ASIC you need a *Foundry* PDK for the specific node.
skywater was more than happy to release their 130 nm PDK: they are
the only one so far.