[Libre-soc-dev] build server offline due to power outage

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 19:20:33 BST 2022

power just came back on...

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022, 11:05 lkcl <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 6:57 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > i would need 2 (or maybe more) UPSes since the router and ISP modem box
> are in a different room than the build server and there's switches spread
> throughout the house ... I don't think running long power cables throughout
> the house is realistically feasible -- my housemates would definitely
> complain.
>
> ehhmno :) well, actually, i think it would depend on whether they're
> working from home or not and have jobs that require reliable
> internet...

they're not...

> > the UPS for computers should be rated for several hundred VA, the
> UPS(es) for the router and stuff would probably be fine being around 150VA.
>
> do look up some prices.

I may do that...though imho it's fine for the build server to be offline a
few hours per year, it's not that super critical to libre-soc.

  also if you can work out how to get your
> router to log in to this (or just connect the server direct to it when
> needed) they have flat rate data charge for 2 years
> https://www.mypokefi.com/
> we've bought *four* of them (!)

the server transfers like a GB of data per build, so that would quickly
become very expensive...

> if you don't have 4G/LTE where you live then i'm scared :)

i'm sending this email via lte on my phone.

if we really need backup internet, I can check with my parents what they
have, it's based on t-mobile lte and has no data cap iirc.