[Libre-soc-dev] nmigen 1.0 maintenance

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 13:15:32 GMT 2022

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 6:54 PM lkcl <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Libre-SOC, one of the largest FOSS users of nmigen, is now the official authorised maintainer of nmigen 1.0, under license from M-Labs, the owner of the nmigen Trademark. nmigen 1.0's new community home is https://gitlab.com/nmigen
> and its IRC channel #nmigen is on https://oftc.net

we are pleased to announce that  Toshaan Bharvani also joins us as an
authorised co-maintainer of nmigen 1.0
https://gitlab.com/nmigen/nmigen/-/project_members

Toshaan is the Technical Chair of the OpenPOWER Foundation.
The OpenPOWER Foundation is part of the Linux Foundation
and has Platinum members such as IBM, Google, Inspur and Yadro.

the Libre-BMC SIG's LPC peripheral is written in nmigen 1.0:
https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/lpcperipheral

at some point i would like to set up a curated list of nmigen third party
libraries: certainly nmutil - the equivalent of chisel util - would be
on that list, they are remarkably similar and in some cases contain
direct ports (queue.scala -> queue.py), and the IEEE754 FP
library would be another candidate, as would the LPC peripheral
above.
https://www.chisel-lang.org/api/latest/chisel3/util/index.html
https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=nmutil.git;a=summary
https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=ieee754fpu.git;a=summary

obviously we'd need to do quite a bit of a tidyup on nmutil
and ieee754fpu: whilst they're sort-of been designed for
independent public use, they've not had enough attention yet
to write documentation for them.