[Libre-soc-dev] Guidance over the OpenPower Curriculum

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Sep 25 14:56:43 BST 2021

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 2:39 PM <mehul at object-automation.com> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I am Mehul Nachankar. As discussed in yesterday's OpenPower Curriculum
> meeting which was attended by Luke too, I and one of my friend, Sukhanshu,
> have been assigned the topic 'Verification - Libre-Soc' and the genre is
> 'Demo Labs'.

fantastic.  ok, so there are a couple of things that would be good, i feel:

1) running the litex sim.py, which will boot up to the litex BIOS
2) running some of the microwatt unit tests.  we can get to this after
    getting (1) running
3) running the JTAG remote unit tests (this does not need Litex)

can i suggest creating a bugreport for that, and put in any other ideas
of things that you think would be good to demo?  Sukhanshu, you
can then add yourself as a "cc" to that bugreport.

then, use the bugreport to communicate, both with each other and
with the rest of the team.

each time you do something, enter it into the bugtracker, "i completed
subtask X" - whatever it is.

> We have just got along with the libre-soc environment and are new to it.
> We have completed our installations as well as running of devscripts.

ok brilliant.

> I request if anybody can help us deep dive in the topic that we are
> assigned and give us a pathway on how we should go forward with it.

ok, so, deep breath: where you are up to so far is for the main core.
you should be able to run, for example, this command, and it should
end with "OK" in the test output (at the end):

$ cd soc/src/soc
$ python3 simple/test/test_issuer.py nosvp64 shiftrot2 >& /tmp/f1

however having the core up and running is just the beginning.
the next step is to install litex, which, i have to warn you in advance,
is seriously problematic.

do the best you can: install litex "latest", initially, to see how it goes,
then follow these instructions for "sim openocd test":

https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=libresoc-litex.git;a=blob;f=README.txt;hb=HEAD

any questions either ask them here on the mailing list or on the IRC channel.
remember: *keep the IRC open* otherwise you will not be able to see
the responses.