[Libre-soc-dev] Coriolis2 Non-Chroot Script

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:12:30 BST 2021

On September 11, 2021 8:52:24 PM UTC, Andrey Miroshnikov <andrey at technepisteme.xyz> wrote:

>And realised that whatever occurs afterwards will be recorded into
>file_to_fill until EOF is entered. Fascinating.

part of bash / sh since... forever

>On 11/09/2021 19:52, lkcl wrote:
>> it's only critically important for the creation of the GDS-II files
>Ok, then I'll use chroot going forwards.

ah you misunderstand: the only place it *has* to be used is for production of GDSII files.

for anyone not familiar with linux systems it is *recommended* so as to stop questions such as "i got {insert OS of my personal preferred choice} wot don't work plz hlp" variety.

>Apt just seems to be far less intuitive than some of the other package
>managers (although it's probably due to my inexperience).
>However you can't argue with sheer number of packages and
>support/mirror
>availability of Debian.

and the fact that it's 100% guaranteed to upgrade successfully from stable to stable releases.

many new distros and packaging systems are predicated on the NIH syndrome having declared that debian must be "far too complex to be necessary".

i investigated nix recently as it is touted as "secure" and "reproducible", and found that i5% of debian packages (and increasing) now have reproducible build recipes.  in fact, it's highly likely that the effort put into reproducible builds by debian and redhat developers was what allowed nix to be *able* to claim they differentiate themselves from other distros!

reality is that the apparent complexity simply directly reflects the complexity of the task, goals, and requirements that have been set, that's all.

understand the requirements (securely distributed, reproducible, non-centralised stable and upgradeable package management) and you get a glimpse of why things are the way they are, with apt.

you *can* use apt to create a rubbish "simple" distro, if you want...

>I'll get "mk-deb-chroot" running first, then look into coriolis2.
>
>Does "mk-deb-chroot" still needed the "/tmp/brokenproxy" section?

for me, yes.

> Will
>apt always have issues with https?

i don't know.

my ISP is pretty flakey, it's mobile broadband (4G).