[Libre-soc-dev] gigabit router design decisions

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 21:35:03 GMT 2021

On November 4, 2021 8:29:29 PM UTC, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah, I'm just afraid we'll never get there cuz these kinds of projects
>(maybe not for the contract, but the project as a whole) are the kind
>where
>we perpetually never have it done, since there's always something to
>keep
>working on, so we perpetually put off the delayed improvements cuz
>we're
>waiting for it to be "done".

this is a perspective from lack of experience.

it is better to meet immediate milestones and goals - committments made - than it is to make unrealistic committments that are not achievable.

setting the bar low (and achievable) is perfectly fine.

you can then declare "success" and raise the bar some more.

if you achieve the low bar *before* the deadline, you might have time even to say "huh. ok. we really did set a low goal. so low that we have massive amounts of time to set a higher one, let's take a snapshot (in case we fail on raising the bar) and see what else we can do"

but if you set the bar too high and fail to achieve it when the reputation of your EU Grant Funding body is riding on it, this is absolutely catastrophic.

compared to that, any "high performance" goals or desire to have advanced features now now now are as nothing.

none of these strategies and decision-making are within your experience, jacob.

for me they are automatic and obvious, i have been deploying them for 20 years.

Cesar is old enough and experienced enough to understand this.  if you re-read what he wrote, you will see it follows exactly the strategy above.

David is old enough and has managed Engineering projects and people long enough to know these strategies.

but you do not.

when you stop fighting and begin listening to the expertise of three people with experience in Engineering projects, things will get better.