[Libre-soc-dev] gigabit router design decisions

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 20:29:29 GMT 2021

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021, 12:44 Umberto Cerrato <umbertocerrato at outlook.it>
wrote:

> > I already wanted to share this, but at the end I didn’t. So I am sharing
> this now: http://www.winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html

Interesting!

> > A person I know shared it with me while we were talking about
> collaborating on a project.
> >
> > Though I didn’t fully understand the article, I think it is a nice read.
> And it is appropriate for this context.

yeah, thanks for bringing this up!

> Eventually, I would suggest: 1. Remember this is not a personal project.
> Your help is welcome, but at the end, unfortunately, it will not be _your_
> project. (As all the project made by teams and not individuals. And as all
> the projects who decided to become open source and accept contributions).
> 2. Take it easy. Easier possible. That means: set a goal, and complete it.
> Be happy, refine it if you want. Do not stress too much yourself (because
> of 1.).

Yeah, point taken.

> > When you are done with a complete project, there always be the
> possibility of refining it, adding more features.

Yeah, I'm just afraid we'll never get there cuz these kinds of projects
(maybe not for the contract, but the project as a whole) are the kind where
we perpetually never have it done, since there's always something to keep
working on, so we perpetually put off the delayed improvements cuz we're
waiting for it to be "done".

> > So, at the end, I suggest: keep doing the great work. Finish the project
> as soon as possible. Congratulate yourself. If there is still enough time,
> add features. (Yes, if the new features require you to destroy a piece you
> did before, it is fine. Because that piece you wrote, served you to have a
> FINISHED product. Which, trivial to say, has meaning. That a not finished
> product has not. At all.)

Yeah, that's a good point!

> Also remember you are doing this because of some good philosophies
> (privacy, free software), common interests and so on. So the goal a the end
> is not making the best chip in the world. Or, generally speaking, it is not
> 100% the product itself. But always a mix of many other things.

yup!