[Libre-soc-dev] Can't parse version working2

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed May 26 11:30:31 BST 2021

Boris, nice to hear from you.

Lauri is correct, setuptools_scm python developers set a stupid rule
which completely disregards how people use git, forcing EVERYONE
world-wide to stop using git tags and branch names that are not of the
form "vNN.NN.NN".

i am seriously considering forking setuptools_scm, it is that serious.

the easiest and quickest way to get set up is with our devscripts:

$ sudo bash
# ./mk-deb-chroot libresoc
# exit
$ schroot -c libresoc
(libresoc)$ git clone dev-env-setup (again)
(libresoc)$ cd dev-env-setuo
(libresoc)$ sudo bash
(libresoc)# ./install-hdl-apt-reqs
(libresoc)# ./hdl-dev-repos
(libresoc)# exit
(libresoc)$

https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=dev-env-setup.git;a=blob;f=hdl-dev-repos;hb=HEAD

you can see in the scripts, all git tags are deleted.  we could patch
nmigen and c4m-jtag and other dependencies to remove the use of
setuptools-scm, this however then becomes an ongoing maintenance
burden.

the reason for the chroot is to give a consistent dev environment
(critical for reproduceability) and because docker's developers have
no idea of how important stable APIs are, they keep changing the build
methodology.