[Libre-soc-dev] Freenode IRC and the future

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu May 20 01:31:23 BST 2021

On Thursday, May 20, 2021, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> I always use jitsi in the chromium browser.

my laptop cannot use audio because i run jackd for audio, the pulseaudio
jack plugin is shit, and chrome provides absolutely no option whatsoever to
use anything other than its dictated audio bindings.

good applications (simplescreenrecorder, VLC) at least let you select
between alsa, pulseaudio and jack.  chrome is not one of them.

thus, audio in browsers has never worked for me and is never going to work.
given that ads enable sound without my consent i am actually quite happy
with this arrangement.

smartphones: battery is drained so fast on my smartphone by jitsi that even
on charge it cannot keep up and i only have about 45mins available.

by contrast the jitsi *app* is power efficient... but that is now out of
date due to having android 5.

all round it's a bit shit, really, and hammers home the point that all this
lovey moderney woo, let's all use web protocols for everything, really
isn't ok.