[Libre-soc-dev] Freenode IRC and the future

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed May 19 21:30:51 BST 2021

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Free-Software-Exits-Freenode

Apparently freenode is undergoing a hostile takeover, should we move to a
different platform (IRC or otherwise)?

I would suggest moving to matrix if we decide we don't want to stay on
freenode. We would likely want to either run our own home-server or find
one that doesn't require using proprietary software (recaptcha) to register
a matrix user account -- that is a concern raised by lxo when I discussed
using matrix with him (couldn't find a link to that conversation).

matrix can be bridged to basically every chat software I've heard of and
many I've never heard of.

matrix is what was used for chat, to great success, for fosdem 2021