[Libre-soc-dev] video assembler

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 10 21:33:12 BST 2021

On Monday, May 10, 2021, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2021, 12:00 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> wrote:
>
> > basically, cycle accurate when in the context of simulator discussions
> > means *program order* instruction accurate, it does *not* mean *hardware
> > clock cycle tick* accurate.
> >

> my point is that "hardware clock cycle tick" accurate is the kind needed
> for benchmarking,

yes, except we are about 6-8 months away from having hardware where such
statistics would, even if measured accurately, even be meaningful.

recall at the beginning of this thread, i mentioned that TestIssuer (the
extremely easy and fast to develop HDL) is an IPC of *below* 0.1

we need even a basic in-order engine to get meaningful results.

counting the number of instructions executed is going to be the closest
measure to Jeff Bush's metric that we can get, for about another 6 months.

unless someone comes forward and offers to help do some work on the
hardware side.