[Libre-soc-dev] video assembler

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 10 15:57:14 BST 2021

Lauri: imagine you have gdb (only), and an assembler program that's
been compiled to a binary.  using scripted gdb (pygdbmi) you can (have
to):

* upload the binary into memory (one byte at a time)
* run some gdb commands to set registers
* run some more gdb commands to set up some memory data
* tell the program to "execute" (single-step or run-to-completion)
* run some gdb commands to print / dump the regfile
* run some more gdb commands to access the memory data

that's the level at which this needs to be done (except scripted,
because otherwise it would be extremely painful).

providing an actual filesystem would require an entire project of its
own, to offer a bare metal Real-Time OS, plus some sort of BIOS which
communicates basic I/O back to the "host" (just like in qemu and in
RISC-V spike simulator).

this is not practical right now, so the best we can do is bare metal
execution and examine registers and memory.