[Libre-soc-dev] [RFC] REMAP, SHAPE, complex (full) FFT

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Jul 19 10:20:32 BST 2021

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 10:57:53PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> i've moved on to DCT now, not the version that uses FFT followed by
> extraction of real coefficients.
>
> most DCT algorithms unfortunately are either expressed inline as a
> massive batch of unintelligible hand-created MULADDs, or as assembler,
> or as recursive algorithms.
>
> i found *one* iterative butterfly implementation in c++ and it
> completely failed to work.
>
> currently struggling with converting a recursive implementation to iterative.
>
> i could really do with some assistance.

I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but I'd like to have a look at the
problem.
Could you show me the versions of the recursive and buttefly code you
are trying to iterativize?
And any iterative versions you've been able to derive from them?
If I remember correctly, the essence of FFT is recursive decomposition,
and making it iterative is likely tricky.

-- hendrik